ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT – P/T
In a sentence:
The goal of this position is to be a catalyst in connecting people with appropriate church leadership while offering administrative support to Lead Pastor, Staff, and Ministry Leaders.
The Administrative Assistant serves as the executive/confidential/trusted assistant to the Lead Pastor, Staff and Ministry Leaders of New Hope Church. She/he provides high-level support to the Staff and Ministry Leaders in a wide range of activities in the performance of his/her administrative and ministerial responsibilities, while interacting with staff, church members and the community. Other general administrative duties are also involved. It is essential to have a cheerful, pleasant and caring Christ-like spirit. A good sense of humor and the ability to effectively work with a wide spectrum of people will be assets. The part-time position reports to the Executive Director.
The Administrative Assistant must maintain a cheerful, organized and friendly atmosphere for all who enter the office area and meet the needs of guests, volunteers, and church members.
A. Receives and directs telephone calls and emails to the staff and lead pastor.
1. Answers telephone calls and screens calls as appropriate to Lead Pastor and staff.
2. Serves as gatekeeper to the Lead Pastor, while ensuring people are helped/served in a friendly and Christ-centered manner.
3. Reviews and prioritizes telephone messages
4. Makes telephone calls for the Lead Pastor and staff, as directed
B. Maintains Lead Pastor’s/Staff appointment calendar, as needed
1. Makes appointments for the Lead Pastor, while redirecting those appointments that can be appropriately handled by another staff member or ministry leader.
2. Enters meetings, conferences, and community events, and church-wide activities onto the calendar
3. Provides the Lead Pastor and Staff with updated daily, weekly, monthly and yearly calendars
4. Handles travel plans and preparation for preaching, speaking and ministry engagements
C. Assists with meeting preparation
1. Aids in preparation for meetings and events through the production of documents, handouts, reports, ordered meals, reminders, etc., as requested.
2. Records meeting minutes, when requested, and assists in ensuring meetings proceed in a professional and timely manner.
D. Maintains the church files
1. Maintains various types of files and databases for the Lead Pastor and church
2. Keeps filing system organized and in accessible at all times
E. Performs administrative duties for the Lead Pastor, Staff and church
1. Reviews and/or drafts the Lead Pastor’s correspondence and answers mail and/or composes letters, as directed
2. Types ministry and church-related correspondence, reports, etc.
3. Inputs data from Sunday Connect Cards into church database
4. Collects the mail and gives it to appropriate staff
5. Maintains church database with up to date contact info and regular data entry
1. Takes initiative for new and special projects, as requested by the Lead Pastor
2. Represents the Lead Pastor in dealing with members of the congregation, churches, and the community at large, as required
3. Serves as the church’s principal administrative supply coordinator. Orders, maintains and distributes all administrative supplies. Ensures adequate supplies are on hand.
4. Undertake some responsibilities and duties related to the church’s financial operations.
5. Consults with ministry leaders to identify/define leaders’ needs and requirements relative to space needs in the church.
6. May run errands for the Lead Pastor.
1. High School Diploma is the minimum required, with some college education preferred
2. Must be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative, sometimes clerical, and executive support related tasks and able to work independently with little supervision
3. Must have strong writing and verbal communication skills, strong decision-making ability and attention to detail are equally important, with the ability to review correspondence for procedural and grammatical accuracy, conformance with policy/practices and factual correctness.
4. Must have effective time-management skills
5. Desirable to have 3-5 years experience as an administrative assistant or have ministry experience.
6. Must possess a working knowledge of standard office equipment, including copiers, phones, calculators, etc.
7. Must demonstrate strong working knowledge of computers and proficiency in software programs, including Microsoft Office and Adobe applications, Word, Excel, Acrobat, database systems and use of the Internet. (Social Media skills are a plus)
8. Must possess efficient, caring and discerning telephone skills
9. Must have a heart for the ministry of New Hope and the people of this church family
10. Must possess the desire to aid the Lead Pastor in fulfilling his responsibilities and lighten his load whenever possible
11. Must demonstrate an ongoing relationship with Jesus Christ through regular prayer, Bible study and worship attendance; and become a Partner of New Hope Church.
B. Important skills/personal traits needed by the Lead Pastor’s assistant
1. Maintains confidentiality and trust in all situations
2. The gift of hospitality and tact
3. Possesses a helpful, cheerful, diplomatic and caring servant attitude to all
4. Punctual and dependable. Be well organized, flexible and adaptable, and enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting the Lead Pastor and church in the daily performance of duties and functions
5. Reviews correspondence for procedural and grammatical accuracy, conformance with policy and factual correctness.
6. Ability to prioritize and multi-task projects and assignments, using good time management skills in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality is crucial to this role.
To apply, please email Resume and application to email@example.com. Completed application & background check required. Personality, Spiritual Gift and Strengths assessments will be completed during the interview process.
Responsible to: Executive Director
Works closely with: Lead Pastor
Time Required: 20+ hours per week (TBD)
Compensation: Salary paid bi-weekly
Length of Service: 3 Month Assessment then Annual Review
To apply, please email Resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed application & background check required. Personality, Spiritual Gift and Strengths assessments will be completed during the interview process.